Have you heard of "Happy Hormones"? If not, it is a matter of time. But, many of you know the feeling of pure joy or self-satisfaction after a workout, helping others in need, or growing confidence in your capabilities after completing a gig. You feel these positive emotions, including happiness and pleasure, as a result of biochemical processes that release so-called happy hormones.
What are happy hormones?
Numerous chemical messengers, a.k.a neurotransmitters released by nerves, affect happiness. However, quite a few make us feel joyful. These happy hormones include:
- Dopamine: A "feel-good" hormone. It is linked with a pleasurable sensation and taking action to move toward it. Dopamine is behind your positive feeling while still exercising, even though your mind and body want to give up. In addition to its remarkable effect on feel-good, dopamine affects functions such as movement, memory, sleep, mood, emotional responses, and behavior.
- Serotonin: Sometimes called the happy chemical because it brings happiness and mood. But, interestingly, above 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut, not in the brain. Serotonin also contributes to various functions such as regulating the body's sleep-wake cycles & the internal clock, agreeable & sociable behavior, appetite & digestion, and wild desire.
- Oxytocin: Often referred to as the "love hormone." released upon physical contact, during childbirth, lactation, physical affection like hugging, kissing & cuddling, and even shaking hands. This hormone delivers feelings of love and trust that help bonding in relationships.
- Endorphins: The body's natural pain reliever, which functions in the brain similarly to morphine and is released during times of stress and discomfort. Endorphins trigger a positive feeling during the rigorous workout and put a person in a good mood.
Happy hormones and scents
Protecting the balance of body-mind-soul is vital for happiness. Some scents and essential oils help release natural happy hormones and unlock happiness potentials. Here are some essential oils and fragrances that can boost your mood and make you feel happy.
Citrusy essential oils containing Limonene; gamma-Terpinene; a-Pinene; B-Pinene; B-Myrecene are natural mood enhancers. These essential oils are:
- Grapefruit Essential Oil: With its distinctive tart, sparkling, clarifying scent, Grapefruit essential oil is a natural mood booster. It is an excellent stress reliever and is beneficial in reducing mental fatigue.
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil: As many of us experience, the delicate citrusy scent of Orange essential oil might call you up for happy moments and make you feel uplifted.
- Bergamot Essential Oil: Thanks to its light and flowery citrus scent, Bergamot is one of the most well-known essential oils for creating positive feelings and happiness.
- Mandarin Essential Oil: The clean, fruity and uplifting aroma is liked by many because Mandarin has mood uplifting properties and helps relax the mind and body.
Moreover, there are other essential oils and fragrances that can induce the feeling of happiness. They include:
- Lemongrass Essential Oil: The light, fresh citrus aroma is great for a natural mental pick-me-up.
- Vanilla Essential Oil: Creamy, comforting warmth of vanilla is proven to lift the spirit.
- Cocoa Essential Oil: Sweet, almost caramel-scented, with a distinct aroma of chocolate, cocoa contains tryptophan, which results in an increase in serotonin. It can help explain why one might feel happier.
- Watermelon: When cheerful, lighthearted, and thirst-quenching, feel is mood-boosting. So, literally, it is called "summer in green shells."
That is why we have created the best shower bombs with pure essential oils, which have both health and mood boosting qualities. We are happy, when you are happy!